According to top-mba-universities, Philo, Ohio is a small city located in Muskingum County in the southeastern region of the state. The city is situated along the Muskingum River and has a population of approximately 2,000 people. Geographically, Philo is situated on a rolling hillside which provides an excellent view of the surrounding countryside. The climate in Philo is characterized by mild winters and warm summers with an average temperature of about 53 degrees Fahrenheit.
The history of Philo dates back to 1811 when it was first established as a small farming village. It was incorporated as a village in 1841 and later became known as “The City Beautiful” due to its scenic surroundings. In recent years, Philo has experienced steady growth with several new businesses opening up in the area, including restaurants, shops, and services.
Politically, Philo is governed by a mayor-council form of government with six council members elected to serve four-year terms. Education is provided by two public school systems: Tri-Valley Local Schools and Maysville Local Schools. Both schools offer K-12 education as well as extracurricular activities such as sports teams and clubs for students to participate in.
Economically, Philo relies heavily on agriculture for its livelihood with many local farms producing various types of crops such as corn and soybeans for sale both locally and abroad. Additionally, there are several manufacturing companies located within the city providing jobs for residents.
In terms of landmarks, there are several notable attractions within or near Philo that attract visitors from all over Ohio and beyond including The Castle House Museum which showcases various artifacts from the region’s past; The Muskingum Valley Scenic Byway which offers stunning views along its winding route through southeastern Ohio; and The John & Annie Glenn Historic Site which pays homage to John Glenn who was one of the first American astronauts to orbit Earth in 1962.
Population: 769. Estimated population in July 2020: 769 (0.0% change)
Males: 361 (46.9%), Females: 408 (53.1%)
Zip code: 43771
Median resident age: 33.8 years
Median household income: $31,346
Median house value: $59,700
Races in Philo:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.2%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (0.5%)
- Two or more races (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (24.8%), German (13.1%), Irish (7.2%), English (4.2%), Dutch (2.6%), Scotch-Irish (2.1%).
Elevation: 712 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
Philo, Ohio is a small village located in Muskingum County. It was founded in 1831 by a group of settlers and is now home to approximately 1,800 people. The population is mostly made up of Caucasian Americans, but there are also small percentages of African Americans, Hispanics, and Asians living in the area. The median age of Philo’s population is 44 years old and the median household income is around $41,000. The majority of adults living in Philo have either some college education or a bachelor’s degree. Most of the population works in manufacturing, retail trade, educational services, and health care fields. The town has a strong sense of community and many residents are involved in local organizations such as the Lions Club and Rotary Club as well as local churches. There are several parks for residents to enjoy as well as an annual festival that celebrates the town’s history each year. Philo has an active business district with many unique shops and restaurants that cater to both locals and visitors alike.
For population 25 years and over in Philo
- High school or higher: 78.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.3%
- Unemployed: 4.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 33.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Philo village
- Never married: 19.1%
- Now married: 56.4%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 12.0%
- Divorced: 10.8%
0.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -33 (-4.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Philo:
- GENESIS HEALTHCARE SYSTEM (about 9 miles; ZANESVILLE, OH)
- CAMBRIDGE CAMPUS (about 25 miles; CAMBRIDGE, OH)
- SOUTHEASTERN OHIO REGIONAL MEDICAL CTR (about 25 miles; CAMBRIDGE, OH)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Philo:
- MID-OHIO VALLEY REGIONAL (about 49 miles; PARKERSBURG, WV; Abbreviation: PKB)
- PORT COLUMBUS INTL (about 68 miles; COLUMBUS, OH; Abbreviation: CMH)
- RICKENBACKER INTERNATIONAL (about 70 miles; COLUMBUS, OH; Abbreviation: LCK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Philo:
- ZANESVILLE MUNI (about 6 miles; ZANESVILLE, OH; Abbreviation: ZZV)
- PARR (about 12 miles; ZANESVILLE, OH; Abbreviation: 42I)
- CROOKSVILLE (about 15 miles; CROOKSVILLE, OH; Abbreviation: I84)
Amtrak station near Philo:
- 10 miles: ZANESVILLE (375 FAIRBANKS ST.) – Bus Station
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Philo:
- HOCKING TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 36 miles; NELSONVILLE, OH; Full-time enrollment: 4,050)
- OHIO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 40 miles; ATHENS, OH; Full-time enrollment: 18,721)
- DENISON UNIVERSITY (about 45 miles; GRANVILLE, OH; Full-time enrollment: 2,101)
- WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY AT PARKERSBURG (about 49 miles; PARKERSBURG, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,306)
- CAPITAL UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; COLUMBUS, OH; Full-time enrollment: 3,187)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 71 miles; COLUMBUS, OH; Full-time enrollment: 2,999)
- OTTERBEIN COLLEGE (about 72 miles; WESTERVILLE, OH; Full-time enrollment: 2,226)
Public high school in Philo:
- PHILO HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 688; Location: 200 BROAD ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Philo:
- PHILO JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 428; Location: 225 MARKET ST; Grades: 06 – 08)